The Historic Structures collectible for
2003 will be the hotel which was located at the corner of Main Street and
Mountain Avenue, where the Portage National Bank now stands. The building
started out as three separate buildings, side by side, named The Diehl
House, by the owners Alert and Sarah Diehl, who ran the hotel at least
as early as 1894. The name was later changed to The Keystone Hotel
and the building was raised in order to put a basement under it.
Following Diehl's ownership, Edmond A.
Himes was the proprietor. Then Mr. and Mrs. McClelland Short owned the
hotel during the prime years. Dr. Dougherty, who was married to
Margaret Short, used this for his private home and office. Later Peter
Kalisky ran the bar and rented apartments. In 1967 the Portage National
Bank purchased The Keystone Hotel which was then razed for the new banking
Mr. Link's Industrial Arts class from Portage Area High School will again be cutting out these structures for the Historical Society. We appreciate their time and effort in helping with this endeavor. The collectible will be available this Spring.